Advice For a High School Student?

Advice For a High School Student?

I am a senior high school student who intends to get a BA in Computer Science. I finalized my decision to get this degree last night so I have quite a few questions.

I would be very grateful if you could help me with one or more of these questions.

- I have had some experience in web design codes (HTML, CSS, etc.), but I have not learned any programming codes. What programming language would be best to start with?

- I enjoy learning through reading. Are there any particular books or authors you would recommend?

- I am currently finishing planning my last year of high school. Are there any subjects I should emphasis?

- I know math is extremely important, and I have taken Geometry and Algebra I and II. What should I take now?

- What is the most important advice you would give to someone just starting out in college?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention!

A high school student working on programing, law, and websites (Practical Manliness).
    10 帖子 / 0 全新
    最新文章
    如需更全面地了解编译器优化,请参阅优化注意事项

Hello Nate, about your questions:
    * There are some didactic languages for structure and object - oriented programming. For example: Karel ( for structure programming is very common in Mexico ) and Alice ( for object - oriented programming is graphic, is prefered for girl students )
    * With your experience in web design, another option is javascript is very flexible with data types; you can programming with object and designing classes
    * Autor depends for the programming language .

What do you think? Share your experience with me if you want.

Best regards

Jesus Ambriz

Quoting - Nate Desmond
    I am a senior high school student who intends to get a BA in Computer Science. I finalized my decision to get this degree last night so I have quite a few questions.

I would be very grateful if you could help me with one or more of these questions.

- I have had some experience in web design codes (HTML, CSS, etc.), but I have not learned any programming codes. What programming language would be best to start with?

- I enjoy learning through reading. Are there any particular books or authors you would recommend?

- I am currently finishing planning my last year of high school. Are there any subjects I should emphasis?

- I know math is extremely important, and I have taken Geometry and Algebra I and II. What should I take now?

- What is the most important advice you would give to someone just starting out in college?

Quoting - Jose Jesus Ambriz Meza

Hello Nate, about your questions:
    * There are some didactic languages for structure and object - oriented programming. For example: Karel ( for structure programming is very common in Mexico ) and Alice ( for object - oriented programming is graphic, is prefered for girl students )
    * With your experience in web design, another option is javascript is very flexible with data types; you can programming with object and designing classes
    * Autor depends for the programming language .

What do you think? Share your experience with me if you want.

Best regards

Jesus Ambriz

Hi Nate,

As usual, Jose has excellent suggestions. I too would be curious to know how your studies are going. keep us informed. I might add that there is nothing wrong with learning a language like C. The only way to gain real proficency , as my friend Professor Tom Murphy likes to say, is not to be afraid to shoot yourself in the foot when you are starting out.

Good luck

Quoting - Nate Desmond

Jesus give u right suggestion.

My favorite sites: SEO Services | SEO Blog | Internet Marketing | SEO

Hello Nate,

As a fellow college student I felt obliged to see if I could give a little advice. While I'm not a computer science major, but rather a physics major, I do work a lot with different programming languages. I currently work with a computational research lab, and my prefered language is the C family.

What programming language would be best to start with?

I agree that because of your previous use of web design something a little more advanced but along the same lines is a good choice. But I would recommend jumping into some more advanced languages as well as soon as you feel comfortable enough. C or C++ are always good options, but along with that check out python. It's a good versitile language.

Are there any particular books or authors you would recommend?

This is very much a personal choice as to which authors you like, and what styles of instruction you like better. Remember, google is your friend, and there are plenty of nice people out there who have given you material to learn from for free on the internet. Also, another tip, visit your local library or if you have a university near by make a trip to their library. Read a bunch of books and see which ones you really like!

Are there any subjects I should emphasis?

If your school offers an introductory computer science course then you should of course attempt to get into this course. For your final year of highschool I would say to really dive into mathmatics. You have no idea how important the math concepts are to programming. You can always take a couple physics courses for fun wink wink nudge nudge!

What should I take now?

If your highschool offers a pre-calculus/trigonometry course then by all means take this. If you can get past that and into calculus immediately in college that's always a plus. If your school offers a logic course take it! It's amazing to see how many computer science majors there are that are not sure of, or just do not understand basic logic. Remember that a computer is just a bunch of logic gates working together on a large scale.

What is the most important advice you would give to someone just starting out in college?

Take math, take lots of it, learn to enjoy it and really strive to understand it on a fundamental level. I highly reccommend that you take abstract algebra courses in college even if they are not required. But please, most of all just make sure that you love what you do. College will test your intelligence but it will also test your stamina. It is designed to see if you can cut it in the field that you want to persue, so it will push you and wear you down. Be ready for that, but go in strong!

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions then please feel free to ask them. And keep us updated!

Hey Nate,
      All the advice given so far is spot on. One thing that I would make sure start to understand is Parallelism and Parallel Programming. Some colleges and universities are starting to offer some course material on it, but sadly not all. There are those who will say this is an advanced subject, but why not just start with THINKING PARALLEL!! The Intel Academic Community is packed with information on this, as are many other Intel communities.
      Why should you care about Parallel Programming? Simple, Intel, AMD, and the other chip manufacturers are not making single core chips all that much anymore and they will all stop making them sooner vs. later. As a CS major you will do yourself a great service to know how to take advantage of the multiple cores that are and will be ubiquitous.
      Good luck with your studies.

Quoting - Zander Sprague (Intel)

Hey Nate,
      All the advice given so far is spot on. One thing that I would make sure start to understand is Parallelism and Parallel Programming. Some colleges and universities are starting to offer some course material on it, but sadly not all. There are those who will say this is an advanced subject, but why not just start with THINKING PARALLEL!! The Intel Academic Community is packed with information on this, as are many other Intel communities.
      Why should you care about Parallel Programming? Simple, Intel, AMD, and the other chip manufacturers are not making single core chips all that much anymore and they will all stop making them sooner vs. later. As a CS major you will do yourself a great service to know how to take advantage of the multiple cores that are and will be ubiquitous.
      Good luck with your studies.

As I believe Professor Arvind of MIT said backin 2005:
      "My unrealized dream: a time when Freshman will be taught sequential programming as a special case of parallel programming."

Quoting - Nate Desmond

1. C++/C# in my opinion would serve as the door to any other languages/scripts you might ever need. Also MATLAB.

2. Books on algorithms, and math, and more algorithms, and more math :)

3. Math & physics.

4. PDE and ODE. Modern analysis, Numerical analysis.

5. A lot of patience. Do your homework. Attend to all classes even when it seems boring. Have disciplne.

Good luck!
      Guy.

Thank you all for your advice! I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

I have actually rethought my career path and am now planning to complete law school. However, the advice you have given will still be helpful because I still do hope to learn some programming.

Thanks again for your encouragement and advice!

A high school student working on programing, law, and websites (Practical Manliness).

Good luck in Law School Nate!

Lawyer / programmers are dangerous individuals -it is a good combination of skills nowadays.

Paul

发表评论

登录添加评论。还不是成员?立即加入