Ultrabook and Win8 - Good and bad

Ultrabook and Win8 - Good and bad

In parallel to Abhishek's post I thought I'd ask how others are getting on with their Ultrabooks and Win8, good and bad.

General - I took the plunge and use the Ultrabook as my primary PC - it's the only way to really learn.  The more i use it the more features I like in Win8 - I hated win8 when I first loaded it in a VM as I had to Google/Bing how to power down (Win+i) but with use it has become a positive experience.  Boot times are wonderfully fast.  The Ultrabook is sleek, fast and feature packed and the Intel tools are great.  Microsoft Visual Studio is neat but don't get me talking about Microsoft customer service.....

What's missing at the moment - documentation is sketchy and things can be a steep learning curve which is why a good community helps.  The Intel guys have pointed us here so let's use it.

What won't happen - Corporates will not move to Win8.  It is too much of a leap for them.  Many are only just moving from XP 32 to Win7 64 so I don't think they will move until Win9 or whatever it will be called.  The technology jump is like moving from DOS to Windows 3.0 meaning it will take time for power users to adapt and IT to be sure it's safe.   This isn't just 'not until SP2' because corporates have screens that have no touch and you really need touch.  User pressure will eventually sway things but that will take time.

What will happen - Ultrabooks and tablets running Win8 need good apps that use the power of the devices so we need to make it happen.

If anyone's going to Swindon for the UK Sensor Technology Roadshow let me know and we can have a chat.

David

65 帖子 / 0 全新
最新文章
如需更全面地了解编译器优化,请参阅优化注意事项

I liked your suggestions

Abhishek Nandy

I went to my workplace with Ultrabook field work. IT departments and employees asked too many questions about the Ultrabook and Windows 8. Because Ultrabook thin, fast and different.IT departments love battery life. Touch screen phones like, experience, and want to offer as a service to its customers. I think the companies will move faster than Windows 7 Windows8 upgrades. Many companies waiting touch experinces.

Developer

Lets talk about Battery Longitivity....let's post how is it providing battery backup interms of our usage

Abhishek Nandy

One of the most importnat thing about Ultrabook is CULV(Consumer Ultra Light Voltage)

Abhishek Nandy

引文:

Murat Karaevli 写道:

I think the companies will move faster than Windows 7 Windows8 upgrades. Many companies waiting touch experinces.

Hi Murat,

Large corporations tend to lag well behind the technology. They stuck to NT4 for years with only a few moving to Win2k and then they moved to XP. Microsoft tried to EoL it but had to extend support for XP because the user base is so large. That user base is now moving to Win7 64 and they won't move to Win8 because it is too new and it only 'adds hurdles' for users in a multiscreen environment and/or anyone without touch.

If I'm wrong I'll buy a hat and eat it.

David

CULV as i am discovering helps Ultrabook to be thin and to have longer battery life..... as i know more i will posting just to share my knowledge.

Abhishek Nandy

Hi Abhishek,

Any chance you can combine your thoughts into a single post rather than single line posts as it will clog up peoples email?

David

OK David,i will do the same from next time onwards..

Abhishek Nandy

Hi All,

In my opinion, Win8 on Ultrabook flies. Perhaps the most important thing is the battery duration. Is easier and faster then Win7 for users.
The unique problem that I have detected is that the gyroscope runs too slow.

Thanks

Hi, for everybody i m sure about large size companies like shell, bp or total they all plan to move win8 and touch system, cloud etc;
Because of usability, collobration, mobility and next generation documentation is will be better on win8
multimedia; 3D animation, 3D models, 2D animations, transation, pixel shader effects etc will work native on win8...
Intel Parallel, Multithread perfect working on new CPU Data and media systems, We are loving virtualizing of data , we can display billion rows..
They all better on WinRT Hardware and Operations system much more better support our applications on WinRT

Corporations dream next generation displays, they have to protect customers and they dream get new customer by hi-tech solutions.

Reasons;
Winforms usabililty and collabration impossible for data systems,media systems editing % 70 , publishing for always have to convert another formats ... thats mean always quaility problem and disk size problems..Deployment is another big problem.
Web forms and HTML layout engines SUCK for developers %100 TIME Losing..
XP, Vista to much old and slow, Windows 7 is nice but its look like a Prototype of Windows8

Summary:
Companies looking new solutions, they have bored limitations. They need collaborative solution will work same properties on web, local and intranet. Maybe not today but in the near future developers will developing samples will be ready. All companies governments have to move WinRT and Win8 this is not extra cost this is cost saving operations for all.
Thanks.

Developer

Upgrading from Win 7 to Win8 will also be an issue,what can be done best is to provide Ultrabooks(experimentation basis) to the IT people and they first get the flow of it so that they can show BU people how to upgrade,possible solution.

Abhishek Nandy

People who r using Ultrabook how is performance of VMs in it.Is there any special feature that helps us working faster between physical macines and the Virtual ones?

Abhishek Nandy

It is a shame that people will post SPAM just about everywhere. I marked the post by 'ra i' as SPAM so hopefully it will disappear.

David

Personally I really like WiDi, but want to see it exposed to the Windows 8 UI side. Smart connect is also cool and I hope more apps make use of it. But my favorite features are weight , performance, and modern UI using touch and sensors

Ultrabooks are just so cool but I found a little issue. Because the orientation sensor is in the base and not the screen if you hold the base as if it was the screen and turn it into portrait mode the screen will rotate. Then move the base to be horizontal from the top of the portrait and now the screen remains in portrait mode. Even changing setting in screen res on desktop doesn't resolve it because it flips back when you close the settings window. To resolve hold the base so you can read the keyboard and it flips back.

This almost foxed me after I demonstrated a feature by moving the Ultrabook in 3D space.

David

Good point about sensor location. I found Y & Z swapped in clamsell mode.. Going to add an axix switcher to my app,so user can configure preference

Accelerometer sensors and touch screen performance is very nice
Ultrabook and Windows 8 sensor applications prepared our clients, we are doing live tests.
Our client were using Windows XP Operation system.
Windows 8 dramatically different interface that will take time to learn but this new generation interface much more better using by accelerometer and much more clean than Windows XP.
Fast and clear interface giving much more advantage. Ultrabook, Accelerometer sensor performance perfect answering all touch.
Your application interface clear cant see anything, JUST CLEAR WINDOW but all operations working: Pan, Move, Save, Close, Switch another window by finger...
Result:
They dont want continue Windows XP, Windows 8 better an operation system
They dont want use more desktop, Ultrabook better than desktop

Result Question:
When will you can complete our application for Ultrabook and Touch ?

Thanks Accelerometer, Thanks Intel Ultrabook, Thanks Windows 8
We are better developer now..

What do you think about Windows 8 for pro users?

I think that are many of softwares written for Win32 and users need that. How can we do fast transition for those users?

I like Windows 8 very much, but I don't know how to put W8 for my users.

MC

The Good - Ultrabook sensors and sensor ready OS and API, Wireless technologies (Bluetooth, WiFi, WiDi, NFC etc. - a few of them are new)

The Bad - Not all applications are windows 8 (touch and other sensors) ready. My windows 8 frequently crashes due to driver issues of the applications for which I have no option and they are not ready for windows 8.

Thanks, Rumnha

reliability foremost important than features

I prefer Ubuntu OS, this make that user think that will do it

JudLup Luna

Hello all,

i have noticed that so many peoples are saying "Windows 8 is much faster in boot up."

"well if so just start your device ( installed with windows 8) and when Metro UI displayed, just try to quick enter to my computer than go to any drive, copy some content and paste to other drive." - notice that how much time it takes.

also try this above procedure in windows 7 system,  see the differance !.

actuallly, on windows 8 they displays Metro UI directly and we all think that windows is loaded completely, but its different thing.

because its just presentation.

i am not saying that windows 8 is too bad, is slower than windows 7,but my point is performance wise not at all much differance.

still windows 7 is preferable and reliable by comparing both by my opinion.

i am also agreed with JudLup Luna , Ubuntu OS is also good option for mobile devices.

Hi Sail,

Equally, try booting then try finding a file or program you want to search for that isn't on your Desktop or you can't quite remember where you put it.

Windows 8 - just type the file or program name - programs pop straight up or click Files to get the files

Windows 7 - go to Start menu start typing in search and wait.

David

hello David,

yes, i agree on your post. in this case windows 8 provides more usability.

i like Metro UI for usability,

much useful tiles such as people, mail, messaging and so.. we can get information easier than old one.

windows 8 requires no antivirus as windows defender is inbuilt in it. As per google links windows 9  will be the next OS from microsoft.

The Good - Ultrabook sensors and sensor ready OS and API, Wireless technologies (Bluetooth, WiFi, WiDi, NFC etc. - a few of them are new)

The Bad - Not all applications are windows 8 (touch and other sensors) ready. My windows 8 frequently crashes due to driver issues of the applications for which I have no option and they are not ready for windows 8.

Do you want to make money online? It is easy and simple. Just follow the tips and guidelines. We are ready to help you all time. To make money just visit our website. http://www.mywealthrecipe.com

引文:

souradeep-ghosh 写道:

windows 8 requires no antivirus as windows defender is inbuilt in it. As per google links windows 9  will be the next OS from microsoft.

This makes little sense.  defender is available in all recent windows, but is no substitute for spybot S&D 2.2 and a real antivirus.  Even ClamAV has been demonstrated sometimes to catch bad ones not noticed by bigger names.

引文:

souradeep-ghosh 写道:

No this is simply not true.Windows Defender is no match for complex AV application.I do not think that Win 8 has built-in real-time scanning and monitoring capabilities backed by heuristics which are comparable to what is offered by AV.

I hate to say it but some users appear to submit inane posts across forums just to gain BB points.  This is not directed at TimP or illyapolak.

David

@daflippers

Are you referring to this post  "windows 8 requires no antivirus as windows defender is inbuilt in it. As per google links windows 9  will be the next OS from microsoft. "

@iliyapolak

Posts such as you quoted do not contribute anything to the discussion and when users post similar inane comments across almost every thread in the forums as fast as they can then it points, in my opinion, to someone simply posting to gain black belt points.

David 

@daflippers

You are right,but bear in mind that BB status is not based only on amount of accumulated points.

@iliyapolak

Totally agree but it is certainly an easy way to get the early belts.

David

The need of the hour is to port applications to the metro interface which makes them seamless in Windows 8 and 8.1.This makes the transition smooth for the new user.

Harsh Prateek,CEO and Owner,Mamba International

引文:

daflippers 写道:

@iliyapolak

Totally agree but it is certainly an easy way to get the early belts.

David

Yes that's true.

@Harsh P.

If Porting desktop apps {

I believe you really need to design Modern UI Apps from the ground up and not simply port from the desktop; }

else if Porting iOS/Android apps {

you need to understand the benefits of each OS and code accordingly;}

else {

I don't understand your post please explain what you mean;}

David

Metro was made from scratch so apps from metro need to be designed from scratch sir.What I intended to say was that existing applications must start switching their desktop layout to metro to ensure smooth user experience in Win 8 and 8.1.

And I think very few people participate in forums to gain belts...it is more of a learning experience!

Hi Harsh,

The problem as I see it is that desktop apps can be windowed, resized and many professional users use these features.  Also Desktop apps can run in the background without issue.  Modern UI apps cannot necessarily run in the background and therefore if they are now on view they will be effectively terminated, ok some tasks like audio streaming might be allowed to run in the background but what can run is very limited.

If the application can fit the constraints then fine but you need to be very careful.  Things like sensors are the first to be shutdown when using WinRT API.

The BB points comment was not pointed at your posts.

David

I agree with @ daflippers.But this kind of work is more ahievable if developers stop relying completely on the build environment to design their apps and start using tools like Blend.And one needs to be very careful with background tasks in 8.x applications.

Hi Harsh,

I'm not sure if you got my point.  If you have a desktop app that is getting data from somewhere and let's say plotting a graph and you rewrite it for Modern UI then operation will be very different.

The desktop app will run if it is full screen, has another window over the top, minimised or is not on view because the user has switched to Start screen.

A Modern UI app will run if it is full screen or docked however if the user switches to full screen desktop or full screen anything else the app will be put to sleep and data capture will cease.  The app is given a second or so to save what it needs to resume and then stopped.

This is because the Modern UI is designed for power consumption critical environments like Phone/Tablets.

David

It seems that Win 8 started to use extensively GPU for UI rendering thus offloading CPU from glyph rendering or even from calulating ClearScreen interpolation.

I got u @daflippers...!

Going way back to the original post - I use my Ultrabook pretty much daily for developing Windows 8 / RT apps and I'm a big fan of Visual Studio. My only gripe with ultrabooks is the high cost of SSD storage.

With Windows 8.1 I really think the documentation has caught up.  Microsoft has really done a great job of giving us useful code samples and the development community has caught up (ie stack overflow, codeproject, etc.:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Windows-8-Modern-Style-App-Sa... 

But what I think is really interesting is the steps Microsoft is taking to merge desktop and metro.  The recent Win 8.1 leak suggests we'll be getting title bars on metro apps and the ability to link metro/store apps to the desktop (finally!).  I honestly think with a little refinement, Windows 8.x will be start to make sense from a corporate point of view.  The OS does run substantially better than 7 and I personally snap metro apps and use them side by side with the desktop fairly frequently (which I never thought I'd do a year ago).

http://www.themethodology.net http://www.vancouvermobile.net

It is interesting to see how predictions turned out.  Corporates certainly didn't move, documentation has improved and boot times still remain fast - no gradual slowdown seen in other Windows versions.

I now only consider HDDs for RAID backup, use cloud storage and work without problem with a primary 256G SSD.  Quite a change from wanting at least 1TB HDD as a minimum.

The New UI is neat and clean but Microsoft aren't fully there, for example I have two devices each running windows 8.1 and each fully up to date with updates.  Both show every update applied in the Windows Update History Win32 version and both show the last updates applied in December 2013 in the Windows Update History New UI version.

SkyDrive (soon to be OneDrive) is great to use to automatically sync files between devices but occasionally needs a manual kick using the diagnostics tool.

New UI apps can be interesting but are often a little clumsy.

Perceptual Computing will move into mainstream this year but the gestures still aren't mature however it's great for live 'green screening', games and 3D manipulation.

I have a touch mouse and I'm trying to love it but scrolling currently just isn't as precise as a tilt wheel.

I'm still enjoying all this technology and I hope everyone else is too.

David   

Hey David - a little off topic but where would I find the SkyDrive diagnostics tool? My current solution has been a reboot.

Hi Adrian,

In Skydrive swipe from right of screen to bring up settings and select.  Hit help and this will take you to Skydrive FAQ (for me it gets me to below)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/skydrive-app-faq?ocid=w8_apps_skydrive

Go to Notes at the bottom, click on troubleshooter and save to your PC.

I hope that helps.

David

Fantastic - thanks David!

Aside from SkyDrive which I also use, I like their store application in metro. I can easily add and install application that I want just by going to windows store.

What exact problem do you get in Skydrive? Is it a data sync issue?

引文:

Harsh 写道:

What exact problem do you get in Skydrive? Is it a data sync issue?

With the desktop client it occasionally just wouldn't upload files.  I personally haven't seen the issue for a few weeks now so its possible MS has corrected the bug.

And its now officially called "OneDrive" :)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246437/Microsoft_kills_SkyDrive_launches_OneDrive

页面

发表评论

登录添加评论。还不是成员?立即加入