Installing Parallel Studo vs the components

Installing Parallel Studo vs the components

lklawrie的头像

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to installing the Parallel Studio vs just the components?  I'm installing on a new computer and wondering.  I will have VS2008 as my integrator.

Formerly, on my old computer, I had just the Fortran Composer and when it came to upgrade to the Parallel Studio, I think there were problems in installing the full package.  Plus, the pieces get updated periodically over the support period whereas the Parallel Studio might not.

Thanks.

Linda
4 帖子 / 0 new
最新文章
如需更全面地了解编译器优化,请参阅优化注意事项
Sergey Kostrov的头像

>>...Is there any advantage/disadvantage to installing the Parallel Studio vs just the components?..

It depends on software development requirements for a project, or licensing, or your personal demands. I found that installing and upgrading Intel software all together, for example, Update 2 ( includes everything ) for Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013, as more convinient and time efficient ( just one download is needed! ) instead of downloading, installing and upgrading one software package at a time.

However, if some bugs need to be resolved ( you need to do something and you can't due to a bug... ) than an individual upgrade for some software could be done.

Georg Zitzlsberger (Intel)的头像

Hello,

the studio packages only are snapshots of the latest components at the time they were created. We are not too frequently updating the studio packages. But we do so for the individual components.
We are aware that users have problems with the increasing package sizes and are working on solutions for future versions.

My recommendation would be:
If you set up a system from scratch, get the latest studio package. The 2013 version(s) have an automatic update tool (Intel(R) Update Manager). Once installed it will offer you to install the latest versions (update) of the packages, if available. For Linux* you need to start it manually:
<intel_root>/ism/ism

So far we have no incremental updates. Any update for each component contains everything. Therefore you only need the latest update of the package, if installed manually.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

P.S.: As Sergey wrote, you're also free to install just one/few component(s), and not the entire suite, if you don't need others.

Sergey Kostrov的头像

>>...We are aware that users have problems with the increasing package sizes and are working on solutions for future versions...

I noticed that Intel installers do not use a differential method ( let me call it so ). That is, install or update only components which are different and skip which are not changed. Microsoft Windows Update uses it and it would be nice to see a similar web-based solution for Intel software.

登陆并发表评论。