Usability enhancements in Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1?

Usability enhancements in Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1?

The company I work for is currently using Fortran Composer XE 2011, and we are considering an upgrade to the latest version. One question we have is does the latest version contain any GUI usability enhancements that are similar to Microsoft's "Intellisense"? I would include in that auto-completion, parameter lists, navigating to definition, etc.

Thanks in advance!

11 帖子 / 0 全新
最新文章
如需更全面地了解编译器优化,请参阅优化注意事项

Many of those have been in the product since the 2011 SP1 version. You have to enable some of them, though. See the documentation for more details.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Thanks for your reply, Steve.

Are there any plans to implement statement completion?

Thanks again.

Hi all,

auto-completing for calling subroutines/ intrinsics using modules is great. In addition auto-complete for local defined user variables and module variables would be nice to have.

I agree Matthew, that statement completion will be a great help.

By the way a "real time" display of matching braces without hitting any key combinations would be a very wished improvement which should not cost to much development time. MS wrote an article how to do this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee197650%28v=vs.100%29.aspx I would have done it on my own but I'm not familiar with C# nor VB and it seems to have to be integrated in the Intel Fortran extensions where no source code is available... I know this is an old topic but is still a very missed feature for me. If you have to code complex formulas quite often, you know what I mean (and this is a simple one):

N_loadcylce(1:6) = ( (R_strength(1)+abs(R_strength(2))-abs((2.d0*r0_gamma_Ma_FB*r1sigma_mean(1:6))-R_strength(1)+abs(R_strength(2)))) / &
 &                       (2.d0*r0_gamma_Mb*r1sigma_amp(1:6))

Best regards,

Johannes

What exactly do you mean by statement completion? Fortran syntax is not as "regular" as C making such things more difficult.

For instance, say I have defined a type that has several different variables defined in it. The dereferencing character in fortran is the % character. E.g. -

MyType%MyField1

MyType%MyField2

With autocompleting in C#, C++, or other .net / MS languages, what would happen when you type the name of the type and then the dereferencing charcter (for Fortran, the % character) you would get a popup that has all the possible choices of variables that are defined in the type, and as you start typing the first few characters of the variable you want, the avaiable range of variables is reduced. You then type tab or the enter key, and the highlighted variable is entered in code, much in the same way that the Fortran compiler treats USE statements.

That's probably more than we can do. MSVC handles this by actually calling the compiler parser from inside the text editor. In simple cases derived type components may be visible through parsing, but there are many complex cases that only the full compiler can resolve.

"Intellisense" that Microsoft offers with Visual Studio for .NET (C#, Visual Basic, etc.) and native (C/C++) coding is a god-send for those developers.  But the fact is similar capabilities are available for many programming languages in many editors (including some rather inexpensive ones) as well as IDEs on many platforms.  Hence these developers have so many productivity tools to choose from which makes their programming tasks so much easier.

Nothing remotely close in terms of sophistication is available for Fortran developers, even on the IA platform.  No doubt this hurts Fortran, especially in attracting and retaining newer and younger programmers. 

I can say that since there are no usability enhancements in the latest fortran compilers, my company has decided to delay upgrading to the latest version for the majority of our Fortran developers, from the 2011 version, until next year.

As someone who had a start in native (unmanaged) C/C++ with MSVC 1.5 and who has since moved to C# and managed C++ on occasion, Intellisense, and other usability enhancements, that have been added over various revisions of Visual Studio on up to VS 2012 are, as you put it, a god-send.

Our company has a Fortran code-base that has been around for something like 40 years and more. It has been enhanced and kept up-to-date over the years. (The previous Fortran compiler the company used was Lahey.) My guess is if that same development were to take place now, managed C/C++ and/or a mixed managed/unmanaged C++ or, more likely, C# would be the language(s) of choice.

引文:

Steve Lionel (Intel) 写道:

Many of those have been in the product since the 2011 SP1 version. You have to enable some of them, though. See the documentation for more details.

I have turned on both Find All References and Go To Definition, I have been unsuccessful in getting them to work, even after restarting VS, rebuilding, and trying both Disable Database "False" and "True". (IMHO, the language on that option is somewhat confusing. I assume "False" is the correct option to enable the database.)

Please see the attached options dialog screen shot. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

附件: 

附件尺寸
下载 fortranoptions.png53.99 KB

Those are the correct settings. Can you provide a ZIP of a sample project where these options don't work?

We do continue to make usability enhancements to the product and I can say that the editor features work better in the current release thanin earlier ones.

发表评论

登录添加评论。还不是成员?立即加入