Intel(R) MPSS 3.1 (based on Yocto) released!

Intel(R) MPSS 3.1 (based on Yocto) released!

A major release of Intel® MPSS, version 3.1 for Linux, is now available at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-manycore-platform-software-stack-mpss

Things you need to know: 

• This release, based on the YOCTO distribution methodology, is significantly different from the previous 2.1.* release.  Familiarize yourself with the changes by reading  this FAQ
  • New Intel® MPSS users:  we recommend you start by using the 3.1 release.
  • Existing Intel® MPSS users:  read the FAQ and migrate to the 3.1 release as soon as feasible, to inherit new features and bug fixes as they become available over time.   Be aware that support for each Intel(R) MPSS release ends 1 year from the date it was posted.
  • Support for Novell SuSE SLES11 SP1 is dropped and support for SLES11 SP3 is added.
  • Note that most of the documentation has been collapsed into a single large document, MPSS_Users_Guide.pdf.
  • We recommend you read through the Release Notes to comprehend any known fixes and problems
  • Currently verified compatibility between Intel tools and Intel® MPSS versions is as follows:

Linux – Intel® MPSS version    3.1.20367

• Composer XE:      l_ccompxe_p_2013.1.1.106,        l_fcompxe_p_2013.1.1.106
  • Intel(R) Vtune Amplifier XE 2013 Update 14 (released Nov 5 2013)
  • OpenCL:  <NOT AVAILABLE YET>

Microsoft* Windows – Intel® MPSS version  3.1.19491

• Intel(R) Composer XE:  w_ccompxe_p_2013.1.1.139          w_fcompxe_p_2013.1.1.139
  • Intel(R) Vtune Amplifier XE 2013 Update 14 (released Nov 5 2013)
  • OpenCL:  <NOT AVAILABLE YET>

With this new MPSS release, there are some known compatibility issues:

• On Linux, running the Intel debugger (IDB) may result in a COI error every 2nd time the debugger or debugged application are started; IDB may also crash under some specific conditions when debugging OpenMP threads
  • If you use OpenCL on Windows, you will need to use the previous release of the Intel® MPSS for windows: http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/opencl-sdk-xe
  • If you use Intel® MPSS on Windows, note that some environment variables must be set in order for debugging to work properly:

==================================================================================================

Before starting Microsoft Visual Studio* IDE, additional environment variables need to be set (on a system running Intel(R) MPSS 3.1) in order to debug offload enabled Intel® Xeon     Phi™ applications. Depending on the version of the Intel® Manycore Platform Software Stack (Intel® MPSS) set the following variables:

AMPLXE_COI_DEBUG_SUPPORT=TRUE

MYO_WATCHDOG_MONITOR=-1

=================================================================================================

• On Linux:  there is an issue with running Intel® VTune analyzer with this MPSS release.   There is an upcoming Intel® VTune release (coming out very soon, version l_amplxe_pu_2013.14) which will address this problem.
Belinda Liviero
10 帖子 / 0 全新
最新文章
如需更全面地了解编译器优化,请参阅优化注意事项

Hi,  I've just installed this today and setting up an internal bridged network caused a problem with the coprocessor network config. For example, after running the micctrl commands to set up the bridge, there were not only duplicate lines but two disparate entries for GATEWAY in the /opt/intel/mic/filesystem/mic*/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-mic* files.  The default setup configs the mics on 172.31.1 and when I setup the bridge on 10.10.10 (as per one of the docs), then I got two GATEWAYs (10.10.10.254 and 172.31.1.254).  I've removed the duplicates and the incorrect gateway, but thought that you could check the way that the files are created (originally duplicates for PREFIX) and updated.  Thanks.

Sally - where you using the new User Guide to set up the configuration? This is a new document that pulled information from a number of different sources. The examples in the User Guide  use 10.10.10 as the subnet, but this is only intended as an example. (That is probably not clear.) If you happen to have a list of what commands you used, we can see if it is an issue with the documentation or if the micctrl command didn't change something it should have (or if it changed something it shouldn't have.)

Hi Frances, Yes - I'm using the updated user guide (altho' the commands haven't changed).  I realise that the 10.10.10 subnet is an example, yet there is no reason I can't use it as it is one of the non-routeable networks...I just thought I could ease my documentation by using the diagram and ignoring the 12.12.12.12. of eth0.  Therefore, the commands I've used are exactly as in the documentation; micctrl --addbridge=br0 --type=internal --ip=10.10.10.254.  Followed by micctrl --network=static --bridge=br0 --ip=10.10.10.1.  I'm installing again today.  As I said in the original entry, before doing the network setup, the files already had duplicate entries.  The only other commands I've done are "micctrl --initdefaults", "micctrl --resetconfig" and then adding and starting the micras and mpss services.

The ifcfg-mic? files will be going away with the 3.2 release. In the meantime, the problem has been reported; users who run into this problem can edit the file by hand if needed.

Note to all:   Intel(R) VTune(tm) Amplifier XE 2013 Update 14 is released, thus I am reflecting some updates in the compatibility chart, above, to show what works with what.   The original issue we had reported (with previous releases of VTune:  )

• On Linux:  there is an issue with running Intel® VTune analyzer with this MPSS release.   There is an upcoming Intel® VTune release (coming out very soon, version l_amplxe_pu_2013.14) which will address this problem.

is no longer an issue.

Belinda Liviero

Hello,

Just upgraded to MPSS 3.1.2. One issue that I noticed is that when I created a new MIC user that user home directory including the ssh key was created in /var/mpss/mic0/home/ but the files were not pushed into the mic0.filelist and therefore the ssh key did not get to the image and hence the user couldn't login. Obviously I can edit the file and make things work but I suspect it's not supposed to be like that.

Another issue which I have not gotten to the bottom of yet is that I can't do NFS mount of an exported folder. I'm getting "mount: RPC: Remote system error - No route to host" although I can ping the host from within the mic.

Igor

@Igor:  can you file a new thread in our forum to report your issues, if you are still having them?

Belinda Liviero

Hi Belinda,

Is there any information on how to build the Yocto Linux distribution that runs on the Xeon Phi anywhere please?
We'd like to have a go building it with LDAP support included.

All the best,
Chris

The question of LDAP support is answered in http://software.intel.com/comment/1780213#comment-1780213

发表评论

登录添加评论。还不是成员?立即加入