The Intel® System Debugger included in Intel® System Studio 2015 adds Wind River* VxWorks* 7 awareness and OS support to Intel® System Studio.
- Intel® System Studio / Intel® System Debugger (XDB) installation – for more information and downloads visit http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-system-studio/
- Platform running a Wind River* VxWorks* 7 OS – for more information on this product visit http://www.windriver.com/products/vxworks/
- Debug symbols and sources for the VxWorks® kernel image in use.
If you build the VxWorks* kernel yourself, which is the most likely scenario, then having debug symbols and sources available is natural. Depending on your settings, the kernel image build process usually generates a file called “vxWorks” as the loadable kernel image.This file typically contains the necessary debug information. Some configurations strip the debug symbols from that file to achieve a smaller file size or simply to remove everything non-crucial for the kernel’s load and execution. Usually there should be another file named “vxWorks.sym” that still contains the debug information needed. If your build process doesn’t produce any file with debug information, please contact support to assist you in generating the necessary symbol information, specifically tailored to your environment and needs.
Debugger setup for Wind River* VxWorks* 7 kernel debugging
Load kernel debug information
- To load the kernel’s debug information select from the debugger’s menu File > Load/Unload Symbol File …
- Enter the location of the file with debug/symbol information under “Symbolfile”. Due to the way the VxWorks* kernel image build works, a load offset doesn’t need to be specified – leave the “Offset” field blank.
GUI elements for Wind River* VxWorks* 7 awareness
VxWorks* Tasks window
Open the VxWorks® Tasks window via one of the following ways:
1. On the debugger’s main toolbar click the VxWorks* Task awareness icon:
2. From the debugger’s menu select View > VxWorks Tasks:
Example of a VxWorks* Tasks window with contents:
VxWorks* Kernel Modules window
Open the VxWorks* Kernel Modules window via one of the following ways:
1. On the debugger’s main toolbar click the VxWorks* Kernel Module awareness icon:
2. From the debugger’s menu select View > VxWorks Kernel Modules:
Example of a VxWorks* Kernel Modules window with contents:
Note: Non-existent segments or segments of size 0 are omitted.
Console commands for Wind River* VxWorks* 7 awareness
VX "SHOW TASKS"
Prints the names and additional information about all currently existing tasks the VxWorks* kernel knows about. The output format is very similar to the command “i” on a VxWorks* kernel shell.
VX "SHOW MODULES"
Prints the names and additional information about loadable modules that are currently loaded by the VxWorks* kernel.